About Us

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Texas Bound


Half and hour from our deadline to hit the road, we pulled out of the gravel driveway of our rental. Sayonara, little house -Hasta la vista, Anchorage! Our goal was to leave our old residence in the dust by noon and we finished by 11:30. Just a few errands left -returning the cable box, signing out of Ft. Richardson, having one last breakfast at our favorite diner- and we’re on our way to our first checkpoint: Tok, Alaska.

The past few nights have been pretty sleepless. I’ve been so anxious for this move, to finally finish and to begin this grand roadtrip south. Plus Wilder has been putting on nightly dance recitals that have even wowed Brian (who felt him kick up his heels in rapid motion last night.) My head has whirled with what needs packed, things to remember, and last minute stuff to do with such force I haven’t been able to quiet my mind, despite an array of relaxation and focusing exercises. On top of that, I’ve been RAVENOUSLY hungry. NowI need
a bowl of cereal before bed, a snack in the middle of the night, then wake up super early with a rumbling belly. So between a restless mind, a dancing fetus, and a growling tummy I haven’t gotten much sleep. But I look forward to a very boring night tonight -at least my mind should stop whirling, even if the other pregnancy factors are still there.

Saying goodbye to Alaska has been a process. Taking our weekly hikes have been very therapeutic in embracing the memories, creating more and having no regrets about leaving my longtime home. Stocked with new pictures and many, many old and treasured memories from growing up, we drive through town for the last time, a contented smile on my face as we move forward in a new chapter of our lives.

Writing as we go, we've just had a wonderful breakfast at Flo's, and Brian is now officially checked out of Ft. Richardson. Today will take us passed our former family cabin on Ida Lake where Dad's ashes are scattered. I've often thought how difficult it will be making this final goodbye, but today is so charged with newness, plus knowing how fond of roadtrips my dad was, saying goodbye will be a little easier than I anticipated. I am excited to drive by places he often spoke of -Lake Louise, Kluane Lake, Sheep Mountain- and spy all the little bodies of water he would have wanted to stop and fish in.

Brian and I are excited to make this time together count. We'll be seeing so much country and have a healthy heaping of time on our hands, it will be fun to see what new things we discover about each other -as we inevitably will being stuck in the car for 2+ weeks straight together. We will be posting often with updates of our travels, so stay tuned in 'til next time!

1 comment:

Mama said...

My prayers travel with you ~ as does my love.

Blessings and Joys!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails