About Us

Friday, December 21, 2007

Jesus Had a Green Christmas, So Can I

Click Here To Read Our Christmas Letter!

A large portion of the United States never has a White Christmas. I should be fine being included in the vast number of folks who decorate their leaf-covered trees and hang outdoor lights in shirt sleeves, but -no- I felt like a fake. This certainly isn't Christmas, is it? Sitting in my air conditioned living room, listening to Bing Crosby and staring at our brightly decorated tree, I pondered how I could have a real Christmas in Texas.

Then the thought came, "Wait a minute! Lots of people don't need snow to truly celebrate Christmas. So, what makes Christmas feel so... Christmasy?"

We put up all our ornaments, garland and twinkle lights. The stockings were hung with care and presents sit beneath the tree, but it seems devastatingly anti-climactic if this is it.


On the first Sunday of Advent when we lit the candles at church and sang our first carols the holiday sparks ignited my heart! I've always loved Advent -the ceremony, the anticipation, the holiness of the season and it's traditions. Without the communal celebration of Christmas with a church home, the holiday seems empty to me. Along with church and remembering that the focus of Christmas isn't if I finished my shopping and if everyone is happy with the presents I bought them (and if I made the 8 different kinds of holiday cookies...) one more thing remains.

Giving from the heart and not from obligation. I had another moment sitting on my couch: our church had planned to carol at a retirement home that evening and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. Brian was gone and I was feeling very introverted. Finally, I decided Wilder and I would go. It was the best thing I have done this season. Sharing treasured songs with treasured folks, hearing stories of their families and past Christmases, seeing care-worn faces light up when they saw Wilder -I was humbled and very blessed. I had been so caught up in making Christmas "Christmas" at our house and for me that I had neglected to do exactly what God would want me to do -to share love and joy.

It's so easy to get stuck in creating Christmas, but I learned I can't make the magic of the season. That only happens when I look beyond myself, share with others, and celebrate. I don't need snow to make a wonderful Christmas. I need you. Merry Christmas, All!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, Dear One. You have found what is truly important ~ such a blessing.
We all wish you, Brian and Wilder a very Merry Christmas bursting with joy!
Love, Mama, Mark, Chris, Patrick, Irene, Shannon, Peter, Aaron, Derek and Leandra

ginamurrow said...

So true! I learned something similar this year. The idea of spending a "green" Christmas was depressing at first, so I took the sadness to God. He made it one of our best Christmases ever!

Kudos to you for learning it way earlier than I did! hahaha

Love,
Gina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails