About Us

Friday, August 31, 2007

Settin' Up Shop..er, Home

Everything is in order for closing on the house this coming Tuesday, though there is a minuscule chance we might close as soon as today. We picked out and purchased our fridge -the only major appliance needed- and it will be delivered on Wednesday morning. Our household goods have not arrived yet from Alaska, but we'll buy an air mattress and I'll busy myself putting sticky notes on all the cupboards in an attempt to pre-organize the house while we wait to put everything away.

This has all been an amazing experience and I feel so well provided for from above. I never dreamed we'd be in our new home by the time Brian started work at Ft. Hood. He reports tonight but won't have to go to work until Tuesday and even then he will probably be able to get the next few days off for moving purposes. Now wouldn't it be wonderful if our stuff arrived early next week?

We are so blessed. Yesterday we looked at cars, needing to get me outfitted with a vehicle so I'm not stranded at home while Brian's at work. Originally I was gunning for a Subaru Outback, but since I got down to Texas my preference changed. Whereas in Alaska the Subaru is a girl's best friend, no one in Texas drives them. Down here you're either a truck gal, an SUV gal or a sedan gal; no wagon gals. And I refuse at this point in my life to become a mini-van gal. After considering the need for some extra space to grow and for storage, I decided a mini-SUV would be ideal. Something large enough to accommodate the dogs, the family and storage, but small enough to easily zip around and park. With those guidelines I found the Honda CR-V and the Hyundai Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe had some excellent features such as more trunk space, rear air vents and pockets on the back of the front seats but it felt too big. The Honda CR-V was perfect. The back passenger doors open at a full 90 degree angle making it a breeze to get car seats in and out. The trunk has ample storage and room for the dogs to comfortably hang out on drives to the park. Enough knee and leg room for all. And this car can zip around; it's very responsive, has no play in the steering and drives like a dream. After we close on the house we'll go by the dealership and take one home. As the new family car, I know we'll be very happy and well outfitted for many years.

So many big things going on!
Oh! New development: We're signing papers at 1:30pm today on the house! Now, we still might not get the keys until Tuesday due to some minor complications, but there is a chance that today is the day! Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Brian said...

I miss you two SO MUCH!! Give a call when you get settled. Mitsi and I want so spend some time with you. We can come to Georgetown if that works better for you. Talk soon... Love, BL

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there! You know how I love arranging furniture...

Have fun!!!!!!

Love, Mama

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails