About Us

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Adventures in Austin, Part 1

"Let's start with lunch, then go to a folk art museum, then....well, whatever we like!" Mitsi and Anissa were planning our afternoon of fun -and Wilder and my first trip into Austin. True, Brian had taken me a few times into the city before, but this was my first time experiencing Austin with our son.

As a new mother in a new area and big city, learning to get around and taking advantage of all it has to offer is a bit daunting. I needed a tour guide and road navigator -and I was fortunate to have both in my two wonderful friends!
We lunched at Juan in a Million, a Mexican restaurant that holds the title for "The Best Restraunteur Handshake" and I have to agree. Juan greets each guest as if he or she were a personal friend, "Hello! Good to see you! Please, sit wherever you like!" It's a surefire way to make loyal customers.
Mitsi and Anissa took turns holding Wilder so I actually got to each with both hands free -quite a novelty!
We dined on the patio, something you could NOT do in Alaska this time of year. I just noticed Wilder was in his jammies the whole day. Oh well. At least he was comfortable!
Anissa, a seasoned aunt, school teacher and former nanny, gets her chance at holding "Young Wilder" as she calls him. Actually both Mitsi and Anissa are aunts and teachers. They're my child development experts sans children of their own.
We headed downtown and Mitsi treated us to a tour of the Mexic Arte Museum, which features Mexican folk art. I am embarrassed to say I can't remember the last museum I went in, but I think I made up for it by beginning Wilder on art appreciation so early. Toy Joy is a flamboyantly painted toy store on "the drag" in the University of Texas territory. The store is so packed full of an eclectic assortment of toys, gifts and games you can hardly turn around. Wilder and I waited in the adjoining cafe and missed the day's biggest excitement. Anissa was attacked by a bottle of root beer an employee left unbalanced on a high shelf. As she knelt down to look at something the vicious bottle dropped on her head, leaving a welt. She did receive a free gift (a small notepad) but that hardly seemed to rectify the incident. Next time we'll bring helmets.
Ahhhhh, Anderson's Coffee. Mitsi introduced these long-time Austin private roasters to Brian and I this winter and we immediately fell in love with their coffee. Brian being a coffee snob taking nearly half an hour to prepare his daily "masterpiece in a cup" was hoping to find a local roaster instead of depending on bagged Starbuck's beans. Well, Hallelujah, we found one!


I was in heaven! Their shelves were lined with tea pots, tea cups and mugs and they carried a brand of British tea I had been hoping to run into. I placed my order for several bags of coffee and left he counter to consult with my friends which travel mug I should get. My order filled and several other people in line to be helped, I twirled around with my newly selected cup in hand and my purse knocked an Elvis mug to the ground. Mortified, I said, "Oh, I'll be taking that, too!" Fortunately the mug was undamaged and I didn't have to take The King home. I did end up with a very full bag of goodies for Brian and I.

What a wonderful day! I am so glad my friends broke me in to the lovely city and I am excited for more adventures to come. The more I get out and about with Wilder the less daunting traveling will be -we'll be pros. Until next time!

2 comments:

mitsi said...

I just sprayed my laptop's screen with bits of pizza remembering the "Fallen King" (Elivs, that is). What a lovely day it was! My pleasure to show you around! Let's do it again soon.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are getting out and discovering Texas! We have got SLAMMED with snow the past month back here in the A-K and looking at your coatless pictures make me jealous!
I can't wait to visit!

Cherie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails