About Us

Friday, September 21, 2007

On Decorating, Dining and New Perspectives

Welcome to our home! Granted, we are not finished decorating, haven't hung and single picture, and are still missing a few furniture items to complete our ideal set up, but we're unpacked and settled! And that, my friends, is monumental in this past two months of being transient. We are finally where we set out to be: Home.
So here's our living room. We decided against our original plan of having a custom mirror placed in the built in frame above the fireplace. The first quote we got was, well, $1500 short or what it would really cost so we're going to hang our trusty koi picture instead. We're deciding on what kind of area rug to get to tie the room together. Personally I think a circular rug would be nice. We'll see what we find!
We purchased an antique buffet for our entertainment system. It fits perfectly in the large alcove under the television and adds a warmer touch than the metal and black stand we had before (which is now upstairs.) I know, a rather odd choice, but it fits with us! Now all Brian has to do is get a bigger tv -this one looks sadly small in the gigantic space, though we've been very happy with it as we christened our set up last week with, of course, "Die Hard."
Viola! The dining area! Another rug mission to be accomplished, we'll get something easy to clean to go under the dining table. I'm thinking Ikea may have what we're looking for...
And the kitchen. Just LOVE those corian counter tops! Those of you who know me well are aware that I'm not a clean freak. I'm not an all out slob, either, but when it comes to housework and my kitchen, clean is a very relative term. Yet somehow owning a home (at least the initial feeling that comes with ownership) instills such a pride in one's house that I have found myself a la Cinderella and Mary Poppins -whistling while I work and having a grand time taking care of my home. I believe I've disinfected the counters three times already. Watch out!
A glimpse of the Heritage Room (aka guest quarters.) We found this beautiful headboard, as well as the mattress set, for absolute steals! The guest room will definitely look better than our own bedroom, that is once it's all put together. Still a few missing pieces and parts, but on the whole it's shaping up quite nicely. The quilt was handmade for me by my late Grandma Lee after I graduated from high school. I've spent many hours trying to decide which star is my favorite and still haven't chosen one. The sweet rocker in the corner was picked up at an antique store in Salado, 20 minutes north of us. It was one of the four chairs we accumulated before our household goods arrived. It's very comfy and simply adorable!
The Donavan Covey Room. As you can tell, matching wood is not top on our list of priorities. Finding amazing deals, however, is. The roll top desk and chair, the china hutch, the conversational couch, the elaborate mirror, the glass topped coffee table -nearly everything in this room was a bargain we happened upon at antique stores or on craigslist.
This wingback chair was an absolute must-have when I saw it at Georgetown's Rough and Ready Antiques for $89. Originally we were going to have it reupholstered, but after painting this room it matched too perfectly to spend four time the amount we bought it for to have it recovered. So, with an accent pillow, we made this old piece new! I'm simply itching to get things hung on the walls, but Brian left his tools at his folks house. I think this weekend I can safely bet I'll be pacified with a hammer and nails.
Heading upstairs, this is the open area (not yet finished or completely furnished) that will eventually be the kid playroom. For now, it's my book and craft room. Not pictured (behind me) is a folding table with my sewing machine set up, ready to make curtains for Wilder's room. I have a wild hair to make a quilt to match, but I'm trying to know my limitations. Still, with Brian back to work now I have to fill my days somehow, so why not be my ambitious self and make an uncomplicated block quilt? I'll keep you posted on my progress.
What you are witnessing is organization in process. The crib is lined with Wilder's clothes in order of size, waiting to be placed in the appropriate tubs for use in months ahead. These Babar pictures were a wonderful find at St. Vincent de Paul's, a thrift store in Austin. All said and done, after some minor repairs, the set was just $40. One was sold for $5 at the thrift store because the glass was broken, which I replaced for just $16 at Hobby Lobby yesterday. I didn't realize how inexpensive it can be if you're smart with your framing!
Brian set up the crib a few nights ago and it nearly did him in. Actually, he nearly did the crib in. We purchased it through craigslist from a woman who had it for two years (one of those years it was in storage.) It was in great shape and appeared simple enough to put together, though she mentioned she had replaced the release latches on the front side of the crib. It was a monumental feat putting this puppy together. However, here it stands, solid as a rock (though I think Brian would still like to beat it with a rock...)
This picture simply does not do justice to Brian's office. It is incredible! I have often stared and heaved a long sigh on envy, but then skipped downstairs and sat in my pretty-pretty room and enjoyed my idea of peace and elegance (so, no, I'm not jealous. But I love his style!) Once again, I can't wait to see all the pictures up on the walls!

The master bedroom is a big yawn and the closet is the only disaster left in the house, so I refrained for taking photos of either. I have taken two baths already in our large, lovely tub (last night it was bubbles galore!) and I love the roomy shower with the built in bench. It's SO much easier to shave your legs with you have a prop up. This belly is really starting to get in the way.

Speaking of the belly, I had my first visit with my new OB/GYN this week and absolutely love her! I am SO HAPPY! My next appointment is in two weeks and I'll have an ultrasound -she routinely does 36 week ultrasounds to get an idea of how big baby will be, which means.... another picture! Wilder is doing wonderfully and remains an active little man. It may be my imagination, but we're beginning to interact! When he's awake and I'm sitting down, he appears to respond when I gently rub my tummy and talk or sing to him. Well, regardless if he's responding to me or not, we're bonding and that's very precious to me. As is Brian's regard for my growing girth. I was so worried in the early months that my increasing size would diminish Brian's attraction. Makes sense -he married a skinny girl and now I'm becoming a very round woman. Quite the contrary now, he is so attached to my curves he's anxious to get Patton #2 on the way so he has more of me to cuddle. I am so very thankful he loves me either and any way.
I am beginning to focus on healthier eating choices and gearing up for postpartum exercise. The year before pregnancy I was, agreeably, too skinny and ultra conscious of what I ate to an unhealthy extent. Afraid of "starving the baby," I swung the other way and ate, basically, whatever I wanted during pregnancy. If I was to do it again, I would have stuck with moderate choices in eating and not been so afraid that exercise would cause a miscarriage or harm me or the baby. You learn the first time around. So now, with the end in sight, I am going back to my usual healthy options and starting to steer away from the Good Ship Lollipop, ladened with my sweet tooth's delights. And, for the record, it's been over two weeks since we last ate out -that's MONUMENTAL for us! Dining out was necessary while we traveled, but even back in Anchorage we ate out at least twice a week. For some reason I have always equated eating out to being a valuable individual: I'm worth dropping $20-40 dollars on for a meal. Restaurants were always a treat growing up and it meant the world to me when we'd go out to our favorite Chinese restaurant or get a treat of frozen yogurt at TCBY. Becoming an adult I had this crazy notion that I can eat out whenever I want because I'm worth it. Now, how silly is that?! Wasting our money because now we can. We've eaten better at home the past two weeks than the whole two months of us dining out, and it has been very satisfying. And now that we have a home, we don't want to escape to a restaurant, we want to enjoy our new digs -eating at a real dining table! OUR dining table in OUR home. It's a wonderful feeling.

As we nestle in our new nest we continue to be exceedingly thankful for where we are in our lives and all of the blessing I can't seem to stop talking about. With 41 days until Wilder's due date, I am beginning to anxiously prepare for his arrival both physically and mentally. Reading up on labor from every book I can get my hands on as well as early baby care, I have spent most of my time equally divided between unpacking boxes and packing my brain with very necessary information. Every time I begin to worry about what life will be like as a mother, I remember that this baby is mine, the result of uniting Brian -my heart's desire- and myself and multiplying the love that we have -and I feel an instant, warm wave of joy and thankfulness. Here's to the coming joy and all that we have already received!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's raining in Escondido - what a change. The Corn Chowder would be good for lunch today! I love the pictures of the rooms, I can hardly wait for my visit. Kelly, you look so beautiful. Crystal and I totally agree you are an amazingly lovely pregnant woman. The most attractive part of you is your heart - we love you so much. Mama

Kelly Cameron said...

Thank you, Mama. I love you, too, and we'll have the guest area all set up and ready for you when you get here! Can't wait! I've been having more contractions than usual all day today, but they're just Braxton-Hicks. Still, baby will be here soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails