About Us

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Heirlooms and Varoom Varooms

A few days after getting back from California I had some company. Two of my brothers, Derek and Aaron and my Mom's husband, Mark, drove all the way down from Wenatchee, Washington to deliver a 12 foot trailer full of goodies from various generations of my family. The biggest and best gift was the beautiful upright piano my grandparents, and then my mother, owned. My mother learned to play on it, Crystal and I learned to play on it, and now Wilder will have his chance. I remember being knee high to a grasshopper and watching in sheer wonderment as my mother caressed beautiful tunes almost magically out of the piano. Then when she'd let me try my hands at it, only disjointed planging clashed out. How did she do that? Create such lovely music? There must be a secret code, I thought. And, surely enough, there was! And fortunately she shared it with me. So many special memories tied to this piano and I have already set Wilder down several times to begin his early music appreciation.
I had to take the guys to Duke's BBQ in Georgetown. It's a family favorite. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed eating outside. All in all, it was a fun experience.
Aaron (left) loves to peruse the stores. He spied the outlet mall in Round Rock and we all decided the visit wouldn't be complete without a "stop and shop" there. Oh, what goodies were found!
The next day Mark took the boys to the Inner Space Caverns just down the way. They obviously had a blast -Derek showed me all the pictures he took and gave me a virtual tour of the cave along with many of the facts he learned. I had fun making him a necklace with the shark's tooth he purchased, then I took the brothers to wade in the San Gabriel river at the park. It took me back watching them catch minnows and find weird treasures in the shallow river. It was just like 8, 10, 12 years ago. Wilder and I sat on the bank, warmed in the afternoon sunshine. There is something absolutely perfect about that park. Families and friends gathered in little groups, children ran around the playgrounds and through the water, geese strutted on the grass and dove for food in the river. The leaves back lit in the trees by the amber rays of the descending sun. What a beautiful place.

The guys left Sunday and after nearly a week of finally settling into the house for the first time since Brian left, I am beginning to feel normal. I still have boxes to unpack that Mom sent with the guys, but they are filled with very special things that are impossible to rush through. Each item holds so many memories and reminders of precious people from the past -and present.

Sitting here with my morning cup of tea I am embracing the quietness and easy tick of the clock. No hurry. Thankfully I have the blessing of no deadlines and only one little companion who needs my tender and very loving care. Right now I'm counting my blessings, which helps to banish the sadness that creeps in, and gearing up to create some new adventures. But first, a time to rest.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails