About Us

Monday, October 8, 2007

In Lightening

When a baby drops head down into the pelvic cavity, settling in there until labor begins, they call it "lightening." I call it "frightening," if you were already carrying low to begin with. Wilder's head is mere inches away from the exit and he continues attempts to push his way out -or at least around- in that area. It can be a very disconcerting feeling.

Yesterday my sister urged me to hop on down to the hospital to get checked out. She had never heard of a woman being able to feel the baby's head so close to popping out. Having recently had 5 children of her own and also feeling a bit nervous myself, I took Crystal's advice and Brian and I loaded up the car and made the 10 minute drive to the hospital. I didn't think I was having regular contractions, but Wilder was moving so much and pushing so hard it felt like it might be that time already.

I was admitted to a joint exam room where they hooked me up to an external fetal monitor and Brian sat excitedly beside me. Did you know the baby's heart speeds up on a regular basis? Wilder's heart rate bounced up and down like a red rubber ball as we watched the monitor at my bedside. An exam revealed that, indeed, Wilder was very low already for being my first baby, but I was only dilated 1-2 cm. Too bad, so sad. No baby that day. The nurse was very gracious and encouraging saying it was good of me to come in if I had questions or concerns and to return if I felt like I needed to. Brian was glad for the trial run and, though I was rather embarrassed, I was also glad we got to test it out.

The nurse said I would most likely not make it to my due date -hooray!- and could deliver at any time. That being said, I could be giving you an update in two weeks with nothing to show but an even more gargantuan belly. I'm placing my bet on having this little guy within the next two weeks. On Wednesday after my next OB/GYN appointment I'll share any news -plus the 36 week ultrasound!
My current favorite lullaby is James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James." I was inspired to pick up one of our many guitars and strum a bit while singing the words I newly learned. Wilder either loves or utterly hates it when we have "Mommy Music Time." I'm guessing he enjoys it -all those fun sounds and vibrations. With the acoustic guitar pressed to my round belly, Wilder turns, bumps and kicks while I sing and play. I greatly enjoy this bonding time, feeling him respond so much while I focus on my little one. Also, he'll know and, hopefully, love the song when we have rock-a-bye together.

I am in the middle of making another cowboy quilt -this one is much bigger, but less decorative. I sewed a few receiving blankets and I'm continuing on my reading rampage with an Appalachian mystery novel and some of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories. And, of course, I continue reviewing the chapters on labor and delivery in all my pregnancy books. I still try to get out daily on my walk to the mailbox or around the neighborhood. This morning's 30 min. brisk walk didn't aid in getting labor started, but I kept the mindset that I wouldn't feel up to exercise soon after having a baby and I'd better enjoy getting outside while I still can. The morning songs of the birds are raucous, beautiful and so varied -it's such a delight to hear their tunes while enjoying the temperate Texas dawn.

So here I continue to wait for, as my sister says, "Christmas" to come any day. The excitement and anxiety is unbearable only when I actually think now is the time. I am sure I will know when I am going into labor, so I will keep myself busy with crafts, cooking, reading and friends. Which reminds me, I'm off for some homemade pie at one of my new friend's house! Any time's a good time for pie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stand on your head a few hours a day - it might help......

Seriously, Dear, pretty exciting and yes I can relate to frightening. The first time for anything is emotionally tougher, but I know you and your coach, Daddy Bebo, will do a fabulous job bringing Wilder into the world.

Love you '3' ~Mama

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails