About Us

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Well Traveled Road, But Quite A Journey

The journey is nearly complete as I approach 38 weeks. Looking through pictures at my growing belly and Wilder's progressive ultrasounds I remembering how each week felt monumental. Those little milestones which seemed to grand at the time now pale in comparison to the upcoming event of labor and the delivery of our son. I couldn't wait to pass the ten and 13 week marks knowing that my chances of a miscarriage were much slimmer after that length of time. I prayed twenty times a day that our baby would "stick" and be safe. When I reached 20 weeks I felt so accomplished and so pregnant, though my belly was just beginning to show. I was halfway done! At 30 weeks I was truly a mother as I entered the third trimester. Now I finally felt like all those women I had adored with their round bellies and their pregnant waddles. But today I am nearly 38 weeks and have already had a few "this is it!" moments, often turning the joyous anxiety of labor into frustration. I wish our biological clocks had an alarm like the oven that beeps when baking is complete. Alas, we're slightly more complicated than kitchen appliances, aren't we.

I watched my beloved baby movie, "In The Womb" by National Geographic, last week for the first time in months. It used to be my lunch/naptime movie during the first and second trimesters, but for some reason I haven't watched it for quite awhile. I loved seeing the development of the fetus with each subsequent week thinking how far along Wilder was and how much further he still had to go. The incredible journey of growth each child has is phenomenal. This time as I watched after so long a hiatus was the most fulfilling. I have reached the final stage of this monumental adventure, waiting only for labor to begin and to meet this little miracle inside me.

During the past 9 months our family has been through many changes. It has been a time of new beginnings, new adventures and new life. When I think back to all the events which have brought us to where we are now, it's mind boggling that we've accomplished so much in so little time, but then again, that's how it's always been in our life together. I cannot separate the journey of pregnancy from the adventure of our family life and the many turns it has taken. In a way, I hope subsequent pregnancies are less eventful -at least, that our lives are less eventful during that term. But if they continue in this active strain, at least we'll be used to it! I know, Brian will probably be running for president with our next child -or at least governor. It's in the cards.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this pregnancy. Truly, I couldn't have asked for a better one. Baby and I have been healthy through it all, no complications, lots of fun adventures along the way, and now a wonderful hospital and doctor to bring us through the rest! And, today my mom arrives with our two furry kids she's been watching up in Washington while we've gotten settled in our home. I am so glad to have her here while we wait out the remaining time and for her help after Wilder arrives. And I am so thankful that the whole family -dogs and all- will be together for a little while before Brian leaves. Plus, this house needs an extra carpeting of dog hair. Home just isn't home without it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am glad your mom is there now. How long will she be staying? 'Vannah and Smoke are probably so excited to see you two! Hurry up and have him so I can stop checking this page everyday!
Love, Cherie

Boltz Family said...

I am surprised every time I check this page and there's no Wilder yet. Can't wait to see pictures of the little guy. You look gorgeous as usual. I'm so excited for you. There is just no better experience in the world, and it just gets better and better. I hope you will make it home to Alaska sometime, so our little families can meet.
All the best!
Leah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails