About Us

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Ready? Set? Okay, I'm Waiting

It's nearly 3 AM on Sunday morning and I'm getting a little nervous. Last night after having a wonderful dinner and visit with our pastor and his family, on returning home I noticed Wilder had markedly moved lower. I can breathe with much greater ease and his little body is hanging very low in my belly. From the surprise on my doctor's face on my last visit with how close Wilder's head was engaged, I am beginning to wonder if labor will happen soon now that he has moved even lower. He continues to be very active, which often communicates to me, "Hey Mom! Let me out!"

Before going to bed I shared with Brian my growing anxiety about labor. Even though women have been giving birth for thousands (some say millions) of years and babies are born every minute of the day, I was still nervous about going through it for the first time. I related it to the feeling of jumping out an airplane, something Brian -a former paratrooper- could relate with. Sure, you see the line of guys in front of you all jumping out of the plane -piece of cake- but you're still anxious about doing it yourself for the first time. He cuddled up to me and reassured me that I would do great, reminding me that everything has gone smoothly so far, he was sure it would only continue in the same vein. Sharing my fears with my "birthing coach" and best friend helped me feel more confident and ready, should everything happen right away. It is wonderful knowing I have such strong support and encouragement in my husband.

I woke up nearly an hour ago and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I keep thinking how I need to pack my hospital bag, so, armed with my list the nurses gave me I am heading back upstairs to get myself prepared. Having packed the baby's bag a few days ago I thought I had a head start, but this morning as I lay in bed I couldn't shake what my doctor said: When I get to 4 cm, labor will be pretty quick. With that thought, I'm off to get Mama Bear packed and ready so that, should I be progressing to that magic number, I will be all set to go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails